Bread Burfi is sweet like candy and has a fudge like consistency. Most of us think that making burfi takes a lot of time and effort. This recipe is actually quite simple and of course very delicious! This recipe is definitely one to try! In an Indian household, Burfies are served as cookies or chocolate.
This recipe will serve 8.
- 2 cups of fresh white bread crumb, I used 4 slices of bread
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter or ghee
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1cup crushed walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom crushed
- Make the bread crumb, cut the bread in small pieces, and do not remove the edges. I use food processor to make crumb.
- Dry roast the bread crumb over medium heat in a frying pan, stirring continuously, this will take about 5-6 minutes. Roasted bread crumb will be light golden in color.
- Sprinkle the sugar and keep roasting. Sugar will be caramelized with bread crumb and will be light brown in color. This process will take about 4 minutes.
- Add cardamom and milk keep stirring, mixture will be in texture of soft dough.
- Add butter and roast the mix with butter for another minute, until mix will start leaving the edges. Add the walnuts and fold it with mix. Turn off the heat. And pour it over greased plate.
- Spread it in square shape 8” x 8” let it sit for about half until it comes to room temperature. Cut them in one inch squares.
- Delicious burfi is ready. You can store the burfi outside for a week and refrigerate for a month.