Baked Chickpea Cutlet and Curried Cream Cheese Sandwiches is both nutritious, and appealing to kids (especially vegetarian kids). This sandwich is a crowd pleaser too, and looks smart on the table. The cutlets and the spread can be made ahead of time and assembled before the party.
As an option, the hostess can have a range of pickles and other spreads to go with the chickpea cutlets and bread slices, and the guests can assemble the sandwiches themselves.
Makes 12 sandwiches
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, drained
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup besan (chickpea flour)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
For Cream Cheese Spread
- 1 ½ cup softened cream cheese
- 1 tsp curry powder or curry paste. (I used Patak’s Mild Curry Paste)
- Pinch of mild paprika.
For the Sandwich Assembly
- 6 slices of any artisan bread (not toast bread), cut in half, dry or butter toasted
- 1 white tortilla, cut in small square
- ½ cup pimento stuffed olives, halved
- baking sheet (pan), greased
- Wooden toothpicks or mini skewers
- Mash all ingredients for cutlets to obtain a coarse paste.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Form small cutlets and place them on the greased baking sheet
- Bake for about 10-15 min till golden brown. Let cool
- Mix well the softened cream cheese with the curry paste and paprika.
Assemble the sandwiches:
- Spread a small amount of curried cream cheese on top of each bread slice
- Place a cutlet on top of the spread
- Spread a small amount of curried cream cheese on top of the cutlet
- Place a small tortilla square on top.
- Garnish with sliced olives, secure the sandwich with mini skewers.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or chives