Yogurt Chutney is great paired with dosas and pudas. It is a great and less time-consuming variation from the more commonly used chutneys, such as coconut chutney.
- ¼ cup chana dal
- 1 tsp oil
- ⅛ tsp asafetida (hing)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 4 whole red chilies (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds (mathi dana)
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ tsp salt
- Lemon juice (as needed)
Dry roast the chana dal on medium heat until the dal has changed color to a light brown. Set the dal aside.
Heat the oil in a small frying pan on medium heat.
Stir-fry the red chilies until become a dark color.
Add asafetida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and fenugreek seeds.
Stir-fry for few seconds until seeds crack.
Next, grind the chana dal and spices to a powder and blend with the yogurt.
Add salt and lemon juice if needed.
- Before mixing yogurt, chutney powder can be store for few months in airtight jar.
- Mix the yogurt just before serving.
- Mix the chutney powder with cream cheese and use as sandwich spread.