Recipe Submitted by Sita Badrish
These veggie pops are served in a cucumber vase with Green Apple chutney. I have used an assortment of veggies (carrot, celery included) to make the veggie bites. Served at the tip of a carrot stick they make great veggie pops that go perfectly with the green apple chutney as accompaniment. Set in a cucumber vase, it has a fresh spring look just right to whet your appetite.
Veggie bites: (Makes 6 veggie bites – Serves 2)
- 1 medium Yellow Potato
- 2 inch piece of Carrot
- 2 inch piece of Celery
- 3-4 florets Broccoli
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Cilantro
- 1 chopped Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- ~ 1 cup Bread crumbs
- Microwave the potato after piercing it a couple times. Use the potato setting on the microwave or microwave on high until soft about 5mins. Roughly chop the carrot, celery and broccoli. Take in a microwave safe bowl along with about 3 tbsp of water and microwave on High for 4 minutes.
- Mash up the potato after removing its skin and keep aside. Drain the other veggies and grate them up. Combine with the potatos. Add the remaining ingredients except bread crumbs and knead.
- Make bite size balls of the mixture and flatten on palm to about 1cm thickness. Roll in bread crumbs.
- Heat a skillet on medium and coat with oil or oil-spray. Place the flattened balls on the skillet and cook until golden brown. Flip over and cook until the other side is golden brown too. Drizzle oil as needed. Remove on a paper towel. Veggie bites are ready.
Green apple chutney (Serves 2)
- Green Apple – 1/4th skinned and shredded
- Jaggery – 2tbsp
- Tamarind Paste – 1/2 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1tsp
- Cumin powder – 1tsp
- Water – 3/4cup
- Salt to taste
- Combine jaggery and water and heat on med-hi until the jaggery dissolves.
- Add tamarind paste and shredded green apple and cook for 1 minuite.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the red chili powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Let it simmer for about 5 mins and until it thickens to sauce like consistency then turn off the heat.
Putting it all together
- Cut about 3 inch piece of cucumber from one end to make the cucumber vase.
- Flatten out the narrow end so that the cucumber can rest on the narrow end.
- Scoop out the interior fully.
- Make V-shaped incisions on the wider end as pictured.
- Now cut out about 3 inch long firm sticks out of a carrot. It should be thick enough to hold the veggie bites.
- Gently pierce the carrot sticks into the veggie bites and place in the cucumber vase. Decorate with mint leaves.
- To serve the chutney, cut about 2 inch piece of cucmber. Slice vertically in half and scoop out the interior. Pat dry and spoon the green apple chutney on it.
Veggie pops in cucumber vase with green apple chutney is now ready to be served!
Not only do the veggie pops taste great with the chutney, the carrot sticks and cucumber taste great with the chutney as a dip too so the appetizer can be consumed in its entirety. The soft and mildy spiced veggie bites along with the fresh ‘n’ crunchy vegetables complemented by the green apple chutney are sure to set your taste buds rolling.