Vegan Rice Kheer, Payasam
Kheer is a very traditional Indian dessert and is enjoyed by people of all ages. Kheer is made in many different ways using rice, different nuts, and vegetables but milk is the main ingredient to make kheer. I have been wanting to make rice kheer for my son who happens to be vegan and loves kheer. This is my version of vegan kheer: instead of milk, I used almond and coconut milk. After trying many different dairy free milk, this was the best combination I enjoyed. This recipe is also quick and easy to make and is delicious. You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy this kheer.This recipe will serve 4.
- 1 ½ cup cooked rice
- 3 cup almond milk unflavored
- 2 cup coconut milk or 14 oz can
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp almonds sliced
- 2 Tbsp pistachios crushed
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Few strands of saffron
- Lightly mash the cooked rice.
- Use heavy bottom pan to make kheer. Put all the ingredients except saffron, in the pan, rice, coconut milk, almond milk, sugar, almonds, pistachios, raisins, and cardamom powder.
- Mix it well and bring it to boil on medium high heat.
- After the kheer is boiling, lower the heat to low-medium and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Do stir the kheer a few times in between to scrapes the sides of the pan.
- I prefer the thicker consistency of kheer just like porridge consistency, but you can adjust the consistency of the kheer to your taste. Turn off the heat. The kheer is now ready,
- Add a few strands of saffron on the top. You can serve this vegan rice kheer warm or chilled.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!