Tawa Pulao Mumbai Style, Pav Bhaji Pulao
Tawa Pulao is a popular street dish of Mumbai that is very similar in style to Pav Bhaji. The secret behind this flavorful Tawa Pulao is that it’s mixture of spices that creates the perfect balance of flavors. The recipe incorporates vegetables that are still crunchy and not mushy like Pav Bhaji. This is a one dish meal and also a good lunch box meal.
- 3 cup plain rice cooked
- 2 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup potatoes cubed into small pieces
- 1 cup cauliflower floret in small pieces
- 1/2 cup green peas I am using frozen peas
- 1/4 cup carrots cubed into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp ginger thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp green chili cut into small pieces
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 Tbsp fennel seed powder saunf
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped, hara dhania
- Boil the vegetables, potatoes, cauliflower, carrot, green peas in 2 cups of waters till they are tender not mushy. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wide flat frying pan, on medium heat, oil should be moderately hot add cumin seeds, as cumin seeds crack add tomatoes, and cook till they are very soft and tender.
- Add all the spices except garam masala, add turmeric, red chili powder, and fennel seeds, ginger, green chili, and salt mix it well.
- Add the vegetables mix it and let it cook for few minutes.
- Add the cooked rice mix it well, if it looks dry add little water and mix it very gently and let it cook for few minutes, keep stirring.
- Turn of the heat add garam masala, cilantro and lemon juice, stir gently making sure rice and vegetables are coated with spices evenly.
Notes: I said I am making Pav Bhaji Pulao, then where is Pav Bhaji masala, fennel seed powder and garam masala together makes a Pav Bhaji Masala. Most of the time I add garam masala in the end, I don’t like to add the garam masala in beginning and cook with. When you add garam masala in the end it gives batter taste and aroma. I like to serve Tawa Pulao with yogurt. This recipe is so convenient that you can even use left over rice to make it.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!