Sweet Potato Halwa (eggless pudding) is one of the easiest Halwa recipes to make. Cardamom and Cinnamon spices give it a delicate and unique flavor. This is a tasty, warm dessert for cold winter months.
Recipe will serve 6.
- 2 cups sweet potato peeled and mashed
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee clarified butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom (ilachi)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder (dal chini)
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg (jaifel)
- 8 cashews broken in small pieces for garnishing (kaju)
- Boil the sweet potato peel and mash; Sweet potatoes can be cooked in a microwave. Wrap the potatoes in wet paper towel and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Heat butter in heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and stir fry by stirring continuously and pressing down for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add milk and mix it well. After milk comes to a boil cook for 2 minutes, add sugar and cook for additional 6-8 minutes or until Halwa should start leaving the side of the pan. Halwa should be very moist.
- Turn off the heat and add cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix it well.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. Garnish with cashews. Halwa tastes best when served hot.
You can serve this as pudding. Serve with vanilla ice cream or over a plain cookies/ biscuits.