Sweet Corn has a natural sweetness and a wonderful flavor that suits best for a kheer. China grass or kadal paasi (as we call in Tamil Nadu) is very good for health and it is used in a famous drink called Jiharthanda. It adds a great texture to the drink. Hence I combined both and developed this delicious Kheer.
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Corn Kernels
- 1/4 Cup Raw rice
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Cups Milk
- 10-15 grams China grass
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/4 Grated coconut
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Saffron (a few strands)
- Boil the corn cob and remove the kernels.
- Add a tbsp of ghee on a kadai and when the ghee is melted add the corn kernels and sauté for 2 minutes and keep aside.
- When it’s cooled grind it to a coarse paste.
- Powder the raw rice coarsely.
- Saute the coconut in a tbsp of ghee until they are brown and switch the flame off.
- Cut and clean the china grass and soak them in half a cup of milk and cool then in the refrigerator.
- Now in a heavy based sauce pan add the rice powder and 1& 1/2 cup of milk and boil the rice in simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked add the corn paste and cook for another minute .Then add sugar and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the coconut& vanilla essence and mix well.
- Transfer this mixture to a bowl and when it’s cooled, keep them in the refrigerator for 2 hours until they are chilled.
- While serving, take a bowl add a scoop of corn-rice mixture and a tbsp of china grass soaked in milk, and some chilled milk to get the desired consistency.
- Now transfer this to a dessert cup and garnish with saffron.
- *I have used boiled milk throughout the process.
- *Do not cool the china grass and milk mixture for a long time as it tends to get set as solid.
- *Cardamom powder can be used instead of vanilla essence.
- *Keep the rice mixture and china grass mixture separate while cooling in the refrigerator otherwise, if mixed together and cooled they tend to get set as a solid. So mix them just before serving.
- *While serving, milk is used to adjust the consistency as per your wish.