Recipe submitted by Sadhana
In my every day cooking I use a lot of coconut and coconut oil. But haven’t really tried them in making ice creams, until I saw a Coconut Milk Ice cream in one of the health food stores and also came across lot of recipes when I searched in internet on Coconut Milk ice cream. Most of the recipes either used sugar, agave, honey or maple. Even though the latter sweeteners are much better alternate than sugar in terms of dental health, they are high in fructose. So if you are watching your carb and sugars these are not for you. I finally nailed down a recipe using Xylitol and this was absolutely delicious. So try it out and let me know what you think. This recipe is so simple and you don’t need an Ice Cream maker for this.
Preparation Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – 15 Minutes
- 2 Cups Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Xylitol (You can substitute sugar for xylitol if you want to)
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 2 Tbsp Agar Agar Flakes
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- Take the agar agar flakes and add it to the coconut milk and let this sit for 10-15 minutes till the flakes soften.
- Simmer on low to medium heat and add the xylitol and retain it till the agar agar flakes and xylitol both dissolve.
- Let this cool down for 10-15 minutes, now pour the coconut milk mixture in a blender ( I used Vitamix) add the cashews, coconut oil, vanilla extract and blend till smooth.
- Pour in a container and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes till the mixture is lukewarm, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Scoop out using an ice cream scoop dipped in hot water and enjoy.