Recipe submitted by Geeta Rao
Spicy Squash Cakes are the perfect appetizers for the holiday season. These are easy to make and taste great!
- 2 cups Grated squash
- 2 cups Gram flour (Besan)
- 1 tbsp Rice flour
- 1/4th tsp Baking powder
- 1-2 inch Ginger
- 4-5 Green chillies (medium sized)
- 1 tsp Yogurt (if yogurt is not available, use lemon juice)
- 1 tsp Dhania powder (coriander powder)
- 1 tsp Jeera powder
- 2 tbsp Corrainder leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp Fresh grated coconut
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Grate the squash (kaddoo) .
- Mix 2 cups of the grated squash, gram flour and rice flour in a bowl.
- Grind the ginger and green chillis to a fine paste and add it to the above mixture.
- Add jeera powder, dhania powder, yogurt, baking powder, salt and mix well without adding water. Set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Take a bowl, smear the insides with oil and pour the above mixture into it.
- Steam the above mixture in the above bowl in a pressure cooker for 10-15minutes. (Without the weight like in making idlis)
- Once it is steamed, as it cools down, observe that the mixture now seems like a cake.
- With a sharp knife, cut it into desired shape and size.
- Now heat oil in a pan.
- Place the cut pieces of the cake in the pan and shallow fry them till golden brown and crusty.
- Garnish the fried pieces with roasted sesame seeds, coconut and coriander leaves.
- Spicy Squash Cakes are ready to eat.
- Serve hot with mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Can add coarsely ground roasted peanuts for garnishing.