Prep Time: approx. 1 hour
Spicy Corn Patties are an excellent starter for any occasion. In addition to corn, this recipe is made with coconut and potatoes. The bread crumbs provide a light crunch, while the peppers bring the heat.
- 2 cups of fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup of freshly shredded coconut (or unsweetened coconut flakes)
- 1 medium potato, mashed (microwave for approx. 6 minutes; then mash until smooth)
- 8 oz box of panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup fresh thyme (can substitute dry leaves as well)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 Thai green chili peppers
- 2 tbs corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups cooking oil
- 2 cups water
- In a food processor, add corn kernels, shredded coconut, green chili peppers, thyme, garlic, and salt. Mix the ingredients for 2-3 minutes or until semi-smooth texture.
- In a non-stick stir-fry pan, heat 2 tbs of cooking oil over high heat. Add the above mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add the mashed potatoes (see above) and combine thoroughly.
- Take off heat and cool completely. Make approx. 25 bite-sized patties out of the mixture. Set aside in a large platter.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to boil over high heat. While this is taking place, mix corn starch with 2 tbs of water in a small glass bowl. Add this mixture to the boiling water and cook for a minute to create a starchy liquid. Let this cool completely.
- On your work surface, make an assembly line as follows: platter with corn patties, starchy liquid in shallow bowl, another shallow bowl with the panko bread crumbs, and a large empty platter. Dip each patty briefly in the starchy liquid and then roll over the bread crumbs to coat the patties. Then place in a new platter. For best results, repeat the process.
- Allow breaded patties to rest for 15 minutes.
- In a deep fry pan, heat 2 cups of cooking oil over high heat. Fry 3 or 4 patties at a time until golden brown. Transfer to platter lined with paper towels to soak up excess oil, and then transfer to serving platter.
Serve warm. Enjoy!