This is healthy and delicious sandwich. A flavorful patty made with a tasty combination of chickpeas, potatoes, and spices. Placed over Kaiser roll and paired with tangy yogurt spread.
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 4 Kaiser Rolls or rolls of your choice
- 2 tablespoons of oil or butter
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas or 1-1/2 cup boiled chickpeas, chola, kabulichana, garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, jeera
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, hara dhania
- 1 green finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded ginger
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2cup spinach finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger finely shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green chili finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Some lettuce leaf of your choice
- 8-10 thinly sliced tomatoes
- For the spread mix all the ingredients together yogurt, spinach, ginger, black pepper, green chili and salt. Set aside.
- Drain and wash the canned chickpeas, drain all the water out, in a large bowl mash the chickpeas until almost smooth. Except the oil, add all the patty ingredients to the chickpeas ( mashed potatoes, bread crumb, salt, cumin seeds, black pepper, cilantro green chili, ginger and salt).
- Mix it well and bring it together, like dough, divide the mix into 4 equal parts making them into about 1/2 inch thick patties. Patty size should be about the size of the sandwich rolls.
- Grease the flat frying pan generously, and heat the pan on medium high heat. After the pan is moderately hot, place the patty in the pan and oil the top of the patties generously.
- Shallow fry the patties from both sides until golden brown, this should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Slice the rolls through the center and lightly oil them on both sides. Toast the buns from both sides over the skillet on medium high heat.
- Spread yogurt mix on both sides of the bun, top it with chickpea Pattie, tomato slices and lettuce. Cover with the top bun.
- Enjoy these spicy chickpea patty sandwiches!