Sindhi Kadhi is very delicious and nutritious. This tangy Kadhi is made with roasted besan, (gram flour) and mix of vegetables. Traditionally it is served with rice and also can be served as a soup.
Recipe will serve 3.
- 1/2 cup gram flour (besan)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (mathi)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 3 whole red peppers
- Approx. 10 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Approx. 3 tablespoons tamarind pulp (imli)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables (I am using 8 okras slit into 2 vertically, 1/4 cup carrots sliced in rounds, 1 small potato cubed, 1/4 cup cut green beans about 1 inch longs)
- Also need 1 tablespoon oil for stir-fry okra
- 5 cups of water
- Wash and dry the okra. Remove the top of the okra and stir-fry in 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat until they are tender. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium high heat, add fenugreek seed, and cumin seeds, as seeds crack add asafetida, red pepper, ginger, and curry leaves stir for few seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add besan. Roast the besan stirring continually till the besan has become golden brown and aromatic (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add about 4 cups of water slowly, stirring continuously to avoid forming lumps.
- Add turmeric, salt, potatoes, green beans and carrots.
- After Kadhi comes to boil, lower the heat to low medium and cover the pan and let it simmer for about 8-10 minutes, until vegetables are tender. If needed add more water, this should be running consistency but not watery.
- Add okra and tamarind pulp to Kadhi, after kadhi comes to boil, let it simmer for another 6-7minutes over medium low heat.
- Serve hot. Sindhi kadhi taste great with rice or serve as a soup.