Shahi Toast (Eggless Bread Pudding)
Shahi Toast is rich bread pudding. Toasted bread covered with creamy milk known as Malai. This is delicious and easy recipe to make.
- 3 slices white bread firm
- 1-1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 Green Cardamoms – shelled and the seeds crushed1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp sliced pistachios
- Remove the crust from all sides of bread and butter the bread slices from both sides generously. Cut the slices in two.
- Toast the bread from both sides on the skillet over medium heat until bread is toasted on both sides golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan boil milk over medium high heat until the milk reduces to about 1cup. After milk comes to boil this should take about 20 minutes. Wet the pan and have few spoons of water before putting the milk in pan, this will reduce the chances of milk to burn. Make sure frequently stir the milk and scrapes the sides.
- Add sugar cardamom powder, half the almonds and half the pistachios. Boil for about 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat.
- Assembling Shahi Toast: In serving plate arrange the bread slices; pour the milk over bread covering all sides. Notes: you may prepare the toast and milk in advance but assemble just before serving otherwise toast will become very soft.
- Next garnish with remaining nuts.
Suggestion: Shahi Toast can be served for breakfast or as a dessert. Any way you serve it will taste fabulous.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!