Savory Vegetable Cake not only looks great, but is also very delicious. It’s a fresh, healthy alternative to the traditional cakes that are often too sweet and high in fat. This cake can be molded any way you like and its sure to impress your friends and family.
Preparation Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 to 5 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6 people
- 2 cups fresh broccoli (roughly chopped)
- 2 cups grits
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup roasted unsalted peanuts (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh carrots (1/4″ diced)
- 1/2 cup fresh red bell peppers (1/4″ diced)
- 1/2 cup fresh yellow bell peppers (1/4″ diced)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange bell peppers (1/4″ diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili flake or black pepper
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Take broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers (red, yellow, and orange) and heat in a small pan for a few minutes until softened. (Alternatively, you can also heat them in the microwave – broccoli for 2 mins, carrots and bell peppers for 1 min each.)
- In a 10″ nonstick stir fry pan, heat olive oil over high heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook until lightly brown.
- Add grits and curry powder. Mix together for approx. 30 seconds.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water and all vegetables. Reduce heat to medium high and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Add peanuts, salt, and pepper. Combine thoroughly.
- Apply 1/2 tbs olive oil to inside of 8″ glass bowl. Transfer cooked grits to it and pack evenly with a spatula.
- Let the cake cool. Use a butter knife to loosen cake from sides of bowl. Then flip over onto a platter. (Can also use small ramekins for molds to make smaller cakes)
- Drizzle freshly squeezed lemon juice over the top (optional).