Plain White Rice
There are many varieties of rice and everyone has their favorite. My favorite is Basmati rice; I like the aroma and texture of Basmati rice. Rice can be very plain or very colorful. Rice is easy to cook and can be served as a side dish or a main dish. Plain rice is served with lentils, dal, or a gravy-based dish.Serves 3 to 4.
- 1 cup Basmati rice or long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- Wash rice gently changing water several times until the water appears clear.
- For fluffier rice, the rice should be soaked for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- Cooked rice expands to about 3 times its original size, so be sure to use the proper size pan.
- Drain the rice and put into the saucepan. Add the water, oil, and salt, bring to a boil and turn the heat to low, and cover the pan.
- Cook rice for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- If rice has been soaking longer then half an hour use 2 tablespoons water less.
- Check the rice after about 12 minutes, stirring gently. If rice is not ready cover it again and cook a few more minutes.
- When rice is ready but you feel it is too wet, turn off the heat and keep the cover open half way.
- Don’t check the rice repeatedly because water will evaporate faster and rice will not cook right. Also, the grains will break if you stir the rice frequently and then the rice will look and feel mushy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!