Lal Mirch Ka Achar, Red Chili Pickle
Red Chili Pickle is a delightful way to spice up any meal. Indian meals are generally served with a variety of condiments, of which pickles are the most common. This one is a rather hot and spicy pickle, not for the timid palette by any means.
- 10 whole red chili jalapeno or cayenne
- 3 Tbsp coriander dhania
- 1-1/2 Tbsp fennel seeds saunf
- 1 tsp fenugreek seed dana methi
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds peele sarso
- 1 tsp nigella seeds kalongi
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3 Tbsp oil, I prefer mustard oil can use olive oil
- Wash and dry the chilies and cut the chilies in 1/8-inch pieces.
- Combine coriander, fennel, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, and nigella seeds roast them over low heat for 1-2 minutes till spices becomes aromatic. Grind coarsely.
- Heat the oil on medium heat, after oil is very turn off the heat and let it come to the room temperature. Set aside.
- Mix the roasted spices, salt, mango powder, and turmeric to the red chilies, and mix it well. Pour oil over the mixture and mix well.
- Keep the pickle in a glass jar. Let the jar sit two days at room temperature or few hours in direct sunlight. Pickle is ready to serve.
Chili Pickle will be good for a week at room temperature or keep in the refrigerator up to one month. Suggestion For a milder pickle, remove the pepper seeds, or sometimes chilies are not hot then add some red chili powder.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!