Rava Kesari (Kesari Halwa)
Rava Kesari (Kesari Halwa) is a popular South Indian sweet dish which is a different version of Sooji ka Halwa. Rava Kesari is delicious and easy to make, usually made on festive occasions. This is a quick fix sweet especially if you have unexpected guests.
- 1 cup fine sooji semolina
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 8 drops yellow food color
- Pinch of saffron kesar
- 1/8 tsp cardamom crushed, ilachi
- 3-1/3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp sliced pistachios pista for garnishing
- Boil the water with sugar, and cardamom powder in a pot over medium heat. Bring the syrup to boil, mix it making sure sugar is dissolve add the food color and mix. Set aside
- Melt 1 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan on low medium heat. Add the sooji, and almonds and roast stirring continuously, sooji should be light golden brown in color and will have a light sweet aroma. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the syrup slowly, as you add the syrup to sooji water will splatter. Make sure there are no lumps. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously. Add more water if halwa becomes very thick.
- Add the remaining ghee 1 tablespoon at a time and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring continuously. Rava Kesari will start leaving the sides of frying pan. Rava Kesari will have a texture of thick batter.
- Garnish the Rava Kesari with sliced pistachios, serve warm or at room temperature.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!