Rabri or rabadi is a North Indian delicacy. It is served as a dessert. Rabri is a reduced milk, cooked little differently instead of creamy rubri is lumpy. I like this dish because you can serve alone or over malpua, jalebi, gulab jamun, or waffles. There are countless combinations you can come up with.
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
Recipe will serve 4.
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed cardamom
- 2 teaspoon sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoon sliced pistachios
- To make rabri use wide heavy frying pan. Boil the milk over medium high heat as milk comes to boil reduce the heat to low medium.
- Move the layer of foaming from boiling milk towards the rim, do the same as milk foams again. Keep doing this until milk is about 3/4 in volume. This should take about 30 minutes after milk first comes to boil. Note: it is important to keep the heat low otherwise milk on the rim will start burning.
- After about 20 minutes of boiling milk add the sugar and cardamom, continue to boil, until it is 3/4 in volume. Add almonds and keep pistachios for garnishing. Turn of the heat, remove the cream from the rim and fold it into milk.
- Rabri is ready, taste best when it is served chilled. But if you are serving rubric with part of other dessert use warm.