This recipe inspiration came from me visiting manjula’s website because she has a recipe contest for the month of September 2010 and in this contest we need to come up with a recipe using potato. Thought I might participate in this recipe if at all I get a new recipe idea with potatoes. It kept me thinking as to what new recipe I can make with potato other than the usual curry/sabji etc., out of potatoes. It made me scratch my head all through this week thinking about this potato recipe. So I did search in and out of Google for some new recipes. I saw this recipe in a blog …wondered as “pizza with potato?”…hmm …then said to myself “why not?”… So trying this recipe with some changes to the original recipe…
- 3 large and even sized Baking Potatoes/Russet potatoes
- 3 multi colored Bell Peppers (I used Red, yellow and green), chopped finely
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 2 tbsp Capers
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 3/4 cup Pasta sauce (used sweet basil pasta sauce)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Fresh mozzarella cheese grated/ Fontana cheese (I used Fontana cheese)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Boil the potatoes in pressure cooker for 2 whistles or until they are cooked almost 3/4th. Cool the potatoes and peel off the skin and cut into 3, one (1) inch slices on the lengthier side. Cut thin slice on the edge slices so that they have a flat bottom.
- Preheat the oven for about 400F.
- In a bowl mix 3/4 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk it well. Spread this mixture on the potatoes so that they coat well and arrange them on a baking sheet and bake them for about 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl add the chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, capers, salt, pepper and parsley, crushed red pepper flakes and remaining olive oil and mix them well. (you can add any toppings of your choice….like creating your own pizza)
- Take the potatoes out of the oven, spread the pasta sauce evenly on top of the potatoes, place the mixed veggies on top so that it covers all the pasta sauce,
- Add some Fontana/mozzarella cheese on top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pop this into oven for more 5-7 mins or until the cheese it melted.
- Enjoy the yummy pizza without all the fat and meat!
- You can also broil it for about 2 mins to get a light brown crust on top of the cheese and veggies.