Potato Fingers are deep fried potato sticks that are sure to make a splash at the next party.
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (microwave 4 medium potatoes for approx. 15 minutes, then peel and mash until smooth. Save the peels for garnishing)
- 1 cup white poppy seeds (from Indian grocery store)
- 1 tbs arrowroot flour
- 1 tbs cooking oil (e.g. sunflower oil)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups of cooking oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, add mashed potatoes, Arrow root flour, curry powder, brown sugar, salt, red chili powder, baking soda, and 1 tbs oil. Combine thoroughly until the mixture becomes dough.
- On a flat surface, sprinkle some poppy seeds. Take approx. 1 ½ tsp dough and mold it into the shape of a finger (or any shape desired). Gently roll the fingers one at a time over the poppy seeds.
- In a 10” stir fry pan, heat 3 cups of cooking oil over medium heat. Drop the fingers into the hot oil one at a time (a few seconds apart to give them time to build a crust and avoid sticking together). Deep fry until golden brown.
- Stack in cups and place them on a tray or plate, which you can garnish with fried potato peels. Serve warm.