Pistachio Phirni is a popular North Indian dessert. This is a delicious creamy eggless pudding. Phirni is made with rice, milk and sugar, and has wonderful creamy texture. Ingredients are the same as Rice Kheer but the taste is very different. This is an easy recipe to make.
Recipe will serve 6.
- 1/4 cup rice
- 3-1/4 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Few strings of saffron
- 6 cardamom pods shelled and crushed
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- Wash rice and soak it for about half an hour.
- Drain the water. Blend rice to a fine texture adding few spoons of milk as needed to blend. Add about ¼ cup of milk to make a runny batter. Keep aside.
- Soak the pistachios in hot water for at least 10 minutes, while water is still warm drain the water and rub the pistachio with paper towel and remove the skin and dry them. Slice or crush the pistachios and keep aside.
- Boil the milk on heavy bottom pan over medium high heat; wet the pan before adding the milk to avoid the milk burning in bottom of the pan.
- After milk start to boil lower the heat to medium and let it simmer for about 12 minutes.
- 6. Add rice to the boiling milk slowly and keep stirring continuously, making sure rice does not become lumpy, milk will become thick. Let it boil for about 3-4 minutes stirring continuously.
- Next add the sugar, cardamom powder, saffron and pistachios save about 1 tablespoon of pistachios for garnishing.
- Let it boil for another 4-5 minutes over low medium heat while stirring continuously, it will be consistency of thick batter. Turn off the heat.
- Shift the Phirni to the serving bowl while it is still hot as Phirni start getting thick as it cools. Garnish with pistachios.
- Serve chill!
Originally posted 2013-06-28 22:55:38.