Paneer Methi (Methi Malai Paneer)
Paneer Methi is a delicacy of Northern India. This recipe is paneer with creamy gravy flavored with dry fenugreek leaves known as Fasoori Methi. Paneer Methi is a perfect side dish for formal dinner or even a quiet dinner where you want to impress someone. Any way or time you serve this, it is delicious.
- 1-1/2 cups paneer cubed in about 1/2 inch pieces used 8oz paneer
- 1-1/2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1 Tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1/4 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder lal mirch
- 2 Tbsp cashew powder kaju
- 2 tsp coriander powder dhania
- 1 tsp fennel seed powder saunf
- 1 Tbsp dry fenugreek leaves kasoori methi
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- Rub the kasoori methi between your palms and remove the stems if there is any, set aside.
- Blend tomatoes, ginger, green chili to fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat one teaspoon of oil in a pan on low heat stir fry the paneer until they are light gold in color, take them out.
- Heat the remaining oil in a sauce pan on medium heat. When the oil is moderately hot add cumin seeds. (Cumin seeds should crack right of way). Lower the heat too low, add asafetida, turmeric, chili powder, and cashew powder stir for a minute.
- Add tomato paste, coriander, fennel seed powder, salt and kasoori methi, keep stirring till tomato start leaving the side of the pan, this should take 3-4 minutes. Add milk, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add paneer and let it cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes. This is the time you can add water as needed if gravy is too thick. Add garam masala stir and turn off the heat.
- Paneer Methi is ready.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!