Moong dal khichdi is a very basic and healthy food. Every house hold has their own recipe for khichdi. At my home khichdi was made with split moong dal and rice. I have added the laucki (ghia, opo squash, bottle gourd), to make this a more complete one dish and one pot meal.
Recipe will serve 3
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup moong dal
- 2 cup shredded opus also known as bottle guard, laucki or ghia, you can also use zucchini shredded with skin on
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter (ghee) if you are vegan replace the ghee with oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ginger finely grated (adrak)
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons hot clarified butter (ghee) optional
- Wash and soak the rice and moong dal in about 3 cups of water for at least 15 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat the clarified butter in a pressure cooker over medium high heat. When butter is moderately hot, add cumin seeds and asafetida. After the seeds crack add all the other ingredients for khichdi and stir.
- Close the pressure cooker and seal the exhaust, or put the weight.
- After the pressure cooker start steaming lower the heat to medium and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the cooker.
- Mix the khichdi well, dal and rice should be very soft, little mushy. Consistency of the khichdi should be like runny dough. Note: as khichdi cools will become little thick. If needed add boiling water too adjust the consistency of your liking.
- Traditionally hot butter is poured over khichdi before serving, serve hot.
- Serve the khichdi with pickle, yogurt and papdam.