My recipe for this month’s contest is Mixed Sprouts and Arugula Green Salad with White Bean Dressing. I have been following your website for some time and I learned many recipes from you (as well as recipes from every month contest winners). This time I got chance to participate in the contest and I am very excited.
Serving size: 3-4 people
*The recipe photo shows serving size of one person.
- Quarter cup (4-5 tablespoon) sprouted Kala channa (Bengal gram)
- Quarter cup sprouted Red Kidney beans
- Quarter cup sprouted Black beans
- Quarter cup sprouted Moong beans
- 10 cherry tomatoes cut into two pieces
- 1/2 cup Red Cabbage chopped
- 1/4 cup of Poblano Pepper chopped bite size
- 1 carrot cut into bite size
- 2 Sweet Red Mini peppers chopped into bite size
- 2 Sweet Yellow Mini peppers chopped into bite size
- 2 Sweet Orange Mini peppers chopped into bite size
- 1 seeded and chopped green chili
- 1 stick of celery chopped
- 1 small Mexican mango cut into bite size
- 2 cup of arugula green (I also mixed a small amount of watercress green)
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seed
For Salad Dressing:
- Quarter cup (4-5 tablespoon) white beans washed and soaked in about 1 cups of water overnight.
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon Salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chilly powder
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- 10 dashes of Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice or adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Orange
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon
- Sweet Mini peppers – 1/2 of Red, 1/2 of Yellow and 1/2 of Orange, chopped very finely.
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon fresh Dill
- 1/2 cup of water
- Slices Cucumbers, Radish, and Carrot
- Drain the white bean and wash it.
- In a pressure cooker add white beans with 1 and 1/2 cup of water.
- As pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium low, cook for about 10- 12 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait for 10 min. Now open cooker and check white bean, they should be soft. Drain the white beans and allow it to cool for 10 -15 min.
- Next, in a food processor add white bean, 2 tablespoon of olive oil and 3 tablespoons of water. Make a paste.
- In bowl add white bean paste and add rest of water to make it dressing like consistency (this depends upon one’s own choice).
- Next add orange zest and the juice of a orange. Stir.
- Now add lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger juice, vinegar, Balsamic vinegar . Stir.
- Add the spices, salt, red chilly powder, black pepper. Stir.
- Now add Mini peppers and Dill. Mix well and keep aside.
- Cook sprouts bean separately in 1/4 cup of water.
- First, in a saucepan boil red kidney bean sprouts for 10 – 12 mins. Drain and keep it aside.
- Next boil black beans sprouts for about 10 – 12 mins. Drain and keep it aside.
- Next cook the kala channa sprouts for about 8-10 min. Drain and keep it aside.
- Next cook the moong sprouts for 5 min. Drain and keep it aside.
- Let the sprouts cool to room temperature.
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat, add cumin seeds.
- After cumin seeds crack, add all three color of mini peppers and poblano pepper. Cook for 1 min to bring out its sweet flavor. Turn off the heat.
- Next add, all the sprouts, celery, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, mango, carrot, green chilly. Mix it well.
- In a plate arrange 1/2 cup of greens, for one serving. On top of green add the mixed sprouts. Now pour the dressing.
- Garnish with carrots ribbons on top of salad and arrange cucumber and radish. Pour some more dressing.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- May mix all the dressing at once or may pour some over the salad.
- This salad could be served as side dish or can be eaten as a main dish.
- Pour some dressing over cucumber and garnish with some finely chopped mixed mini pepper, to make it pretty looking. (as shown in the picture.)
- It is important to boil black and red kidney beans for at least 10 mins and also to discard the water to remove toxins.
- Sprouts were made following Manjula’s recipe of Sprouted Moong Salad.