Makki Ki Roti is a popular Punjabi bread made with corn flour and served with Sarson Ka Saag. Maki ki roti is also a Gluten Free flat bread.
This recipe will make 6 rotis, and will serve 3.
- 2 cups makki ka atta, corn flour
- 1 cup potato, boiled peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons dry fenugreek leaves, kasuri mathi
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida, hing
- ¾ cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons of ghee or clarified butter for cooking roties
We also need a plastic sheet about 8” x 12” to roll the roties I am using a zip lock bag.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl, corn flour, salt chili flakes, fenugreek leaves, and asafetida mix it well. Add potato to the mixture and mix. This will become very crumbly. Add water as needed to make the firm dough. Knead the dough for a minute. For makki ki roti make the dough when ready to make roti.
- Note: Makki ki roti is little hard to roll that is the reason I decided to use potatoes. Potatoes help to binding the dough.
- Divide the dough in 6 equal parts. Make them in smooth balls.
- Take one ball press it between the plastic sheet plastic sheet help rolling the roti, roll the roti into about 6-inch circle. Note: may be the edges will not be as clean like other roties.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat. Skillet should not be very hot. Otherwise roties will not cook through.
- Place the roti in the skillet. As it cooks, the dough will change color and have a dryer look. Turn the roti over using a spatula. You should see golden-brown spots on the semi-cooked side.
- After few seconds, spread 1 teaspoon ghee onto the roti using a spatula. Turn the roti over. Using your spatula, lightly press the entire surface of the roti to help it cook all the way through. Put the ghee on both sides of the roti while cooking. Grill the roti from both sides making sure it is golden-brown on both sides. Remove from heat.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, until they are all done.
Serve them hot. Makki ki roti traditionally served with sarson ka saag or dal makhani. If you are vegan use the oil for cooking the roties.
Originally posted 2016-06-16 23:30:35.
15 thoughts on “Makki Ki Roti – Paratha”
Your all recepies are very good and simple i like very much
Saima asif, Thank you
Your recipe is not really Punjabi makki roti, as we never add hing or potatoes. But very creative recipe!
Thank you …i will make it..i just wonder what i do it with my corn flour..
Makki ki Roti is the main dish for people residing in Rajasthan. and this is specially served with sarso ka saag
Like your recipes
I really Like your all recipes .Easy
to make and delicious too .Thank you soo much.
Nidhi, Thank you
I like your all receipies. I am gr8 fan of your all receipies. those are simple to understand and easy to make in short time.
Anjali, Thank you always love to hear that
Instated of potatoes can we use roti atta? If yes then what is proportional?
Send chats recipees ..
Heena, check out this link on my web site https://manjulaskitchen.com/recipes/chaat/
Must I buy corn flour in Indian grocery is cornmeal in Supermarket ok thank you Auntie
Yes its cornmeal..cornflour is the powdery flour for thickening sauces etc
You must log in to post a comment.