Lauki Vadi Ki Sabji
Laucki is also known as Bottle gourd. This is a healthy and wholesome lentil and vegetable main dish. I like making Lauki as it is mild in taste and easy to digest. I usually will serve this with plain rice or rotis.
- 4 cup laucki
bottle gourd, peeled and cut into byte size cubes
- 1/3 cup
moong dal vadi
broken into small pieces
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tbsp coriander powder dhania
- 1/4 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup water
- I am using instant pot; I am using the instant pot instead of pressure-cooker. Not
for saving time but ease of use.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in instant pot on sautéed mode. Oil should be moderately hot, add moong dal vadi stir-fry till they are light golden brown this should take about 1
minute. take out the vadies from instant pot.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, in instant pot keeping on sautéed mode oil should be moderately hot and add cumin seeds. When seeds start to crack, add the asafetida, stir and add tomato puree, ginger, coriander powder, turmeric, salt and chili powder and cook stirring occasional till spice mix start leaving the oil.
- Add bottle gourd, vadies and 1/2 cup of water. Change the setting to pressure cook on high mode. Set the time for 6 minutes. (At this time instant pot is working just like pressure cooker, it will take same time building the pressure and after cooking releasing the pressure as pressure cooker, advantage is you can take care other work you have to do or even if you have to go out.)
- Open the instant pot when you are ready. After you open the instant pot adjust the water if you need more, add garam masala.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
13 thoughts on “Lauki Vadi Ki Sabji”
So delicious! It’s just as tasty with zucchini. I didn’t puree tomatoes, just chopped finely, worked great. I also add a little lemon juice and chpped fresh cilantro at the end. Yet another terrific recipe! Thank you, Manjulaji.
Thanks for the amazing recipes.
So how do you make moong dal vadi? I couldn’t find the recipe when I searched. Thanks so much.
Thank you, Manjula! This looks so good. Do you recommend preparing this dish without a pressure cooker? And is there a substitute if I cannot find a bottle gourd?
Amy, you can use any saucepan and try with zucchini.
The recipe looks so yummy and delicious, thanks for sharing this with us.
Really nice and it seems like it will be very tasty to eat I am gonna try it for sure.
Your all recipe is awesome thank you for sharing.
Amazing recipe. Really healthy and tasty. A must-try for everyone.
Hi Manjula, thanks for this recipe. I can’t get bottle gourd where I live, could you please recommend other vegetables that would go well with this recipe?
Thanks for this recipe.
Please kindly advise where we can buy the pot you used in this recipe. Please show the ingredients like Lauki before cutting it as we are not familiar with this vegetable and the moong dal vadi what is this and how to make this vadi.
Prema, You can make this dish using any pot, you don’t need to buy instant pot. sorry I should have showed the whole lauki, in English it is known Bottle gourd.
Bottle gourd or Lauki is called Surakkai in Tamil or Surakkaya in Telugu.
Hope this helps.
You must log in to post a comment.