Kurkuri Bhindi is a delicious twist to Masala Bhindi. Kurkuri means crispy and Bhindi means okra. This spicy, crispy okra is simply delicious. The okra is marinated in spices, coated with flour, and then deep fried for a satisfying crunch. Kurkuri bhindi especially goes well with Moong Dal Soup and Rice. Kurkuri bhindi can also be served as a snack, or appetizer.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Recipe will serve 4.
- Approx. 1/2 pound okra (bhindi)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 2 tablespoons besan (gram flour) available in Indian grocery stores
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
Oil to fry
- Wash and pat dry the okra, cut off the tops and bottom of the okra. Cut the okras vertically into thin slices.
- Lightly massage the okra with fingers, doing this some of the seeds will come out of the okras remove the seeds; it is not necessary to remove all the seeds.
- Sprinkle all the spice salt, cumin seeds, coriander powder, chili flakes, mango powder, and turmeric over okra and mix it well. Okras should be well coated with spices. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Okras will become moist because of the salt.
- Sprinkle besan, and rice flour over bhinidies, mix slowly and keep mixing by lightly rubbing them until okras are coated well.
- Heat the oil in frying pan moderately over medium high heat. Fry the okras in batches without over crowding. Fry them till they are golden brown this should take about seven minutes. Take the okra out and place them on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Kurkuri bhindi, crispy okra is ready to be served.
Originally posted 2014-09-07 00:16:40.