Khaman (Besan) dhokla, is a tasty Gujarati snack. This salty snack has a texture similar to cake. This is a popular street food in Gujarat. The best snacks are usually easy and quick to make. This is a delicious guilt-free snack, or side dish that can go with any meal.
This recipe will serve 6.
- 1-1/2 cups besan (Gram flour)
- 2 tablespoons Sooji (rava, Semolina)
- 1/2 teaspoon Citric acid
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water use as needed to make pouring consistency
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Eno (fruit Salt)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds (til)
- 4-5 curry leaves optional
- 2 green chili seeded and cut into 4 length wise
Also need 2-3 tablespoons hot water
Utensils to steam Dhokla
Dhokla maker – or, if you don’t have that, use all three of the following: that’s what I am also using
- Covered pan large enough to hold round cake rack
- Round cake-cooling rack
- Round 9” cake pan
- Sift the besan, and make batter should be smooth and pouring consistency. Add all the ingredients except the ENO to the batter sooji, salt, sugar, asafetida, ginger, citric acid and green chili, mix it well, if needed add little more water. Set aside. We will add the ENO just before steaming.
- Grease the cake pan and set aside.
- Set the cake rack in the pan. Add water, just enough to touch the cake rack, and bring to a boil. This will be used to steam the dhokla.
- When the water boils, turn down the heat to medium.
- Add the ENO to the batter and beat the batter for a minute, batter will become airy and frothy. Quickly pour batter into a greased cake pan. Place the cake pan into the saucepan over the cake rack. Cover the pan. Steam for about 8 minutes on medium heat. Do not open the pen in between.
- Check Dhokla with a knife. If the knife comes out clean, dhokla is ready. Turn off the heat and let it sit over the stem for 4-5 minutes covered.
Prepare the seasoning
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat moderately. Add mustard seeds, and sesame seeds stir for 3-4 seconds, add green chili stir and curry leaves, stir for few seconds. Cover the pan and turn off the heat. Careful curry leaves will splatter.
- First drizzle the hot water over dhokla this will keep the dhokla moist. Then drizzle the seasoning over.
- Cut them in squares.
- Serve with Hari cilantro chutney. Taste best when it is served warm.
- Khaman Dhokla can be refrigerated for a few days. Before serving, heat Dhokla in a microwave or heat over steam.
You will also enjoy these recipe Dhokla (Suji), Mint Chutney
23 thoughts on “Khaman (Besan) Dhokla”
Hi Manjula g
is there any alternate for Eno?
I use ENO a fruit salt , that has 60% baking soda and 40% citri acid. Some suggest using 1/2 tea spoon baking soda with 1/2 teaspoon ( citric acid or any souring agent or sodium Citrate which is citric acid salts )
Sneh, thank you
instead of critic acid we can use curd??
Ankita, use lemon juice
What is the Citric acid made of? And any alternativeto it?
You can use lemon juice instead of citric acid
We can I think
I would love to make this recipe but cannot eat sooji as I am gluten free. What could I use instead of sooji
Madhu, you can replace the sooji with corn meal
Manjulaben is there an alternative to Eno? For people on low sodium diet any kind of baking powder/soda or Eno is more good.
Jayashree, sorry I don’t know
Baking powder can be used to replace Eno. 1 1/2 tsp of b.p for 1 tsp Eno.
Hi Manjula ji, is there is option to cook in pressure cooker with idli maker
Is there an alternative to citric acid?
ami, lemon juice
How much lemon juice will b needed?
Manjulaji, I tried the khaman dhokla recipe today & followed recipe exactly except that I substituted citric acid with white vinegar. The top half was quite fluffy & brittle while bottom half was not so fluffy. What could be my mistake?
Plz send how to make khandvi
Khaman Dhokla s really very delicious . Thank you very much.
I have tried many of your recipes. All are marvelous. About dhokla I have a query, if i want to use curd will it work?
How should we store dhokla for 2-3 days? Should we leave it on room temperature or refrigerate it?
U have to refrigerate it
You must log in to post a comment.