Jhaal muri is a popular street food snack of Kolkata. Jhaal means spices and muri is puffed rice. A long time ago, I visited my uncle in Kolkata and I still remember this mouthwatering snack. This puffed rice is tossed with potato, cucumber, tomatoes. A special blend of spices including tamarind pulp, and mustard oil are also added to jhaal muri. This is a simple yet delicious snack.
This recipe will serve 4.
- 4 cups murmura/ muri (puffed rice)
- 1/4 cup fine sev (bengal gram vermicelli)
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup potato boiled, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup tomato finely chopped, seeded
- 1/2 cup cucumber finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green chili, finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
- 1/4 cup tamarind paste
- 4 teaspoons mustard oil
- 4 teaspoons roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black salt
- 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
4 slices of lemon for garnishing
How to make Bengali Jhaal Muri
- Combine all the dry spices together. Set aside.
- Heat a 1 teaspoon of oil in a small pan on medium heat, add peanuts and roast stirring continuously till lightly brown. This should take about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Dry roast the muri/puffed rice on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Notes: muri should not change color, they should be white but roasting gives freshness and make them crispy. Set aside.
- Just before ready to serve jhaal muri add the peanuts, sev, tomato, potato, cucumber, green chili, cilantro, tamarind paste, mustard oil and spices. Toss them and serve.
- You may adjust all the ingredients to your taste. Enjoy!
You will also enjoy the recipe for Bhel Puti Chat.