Gobi Pakoras (Crispy Cauliflower Fritters)
Gobi Pakoras or Crispy Cauliflower fritters are a mouthwatering appetizer. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, these pakoras are addicting! These work as a tasty pairing with your afternoon tea or a spicy delicious snack before any meal.
- 3 cup cauliflower florets cut into about 1 inch florets
- 1/3 cup besan gram flour
- 3 Tbsp corn starch arrow root
- 2 tsp coriander powder dhania
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro finely chopped, hara dhania
- Boil the cauliflowers, add just enough water to cover the cauliflowers. After water comes to boil, cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Turn off the heat and drain the water. Let cauliflowers come to room temperature. Cauliflower should be just little tender, not soft.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients together, besan, corn starch, coriander powder, cumin seeds, red chili powder, salt, baking soda, ginger, green chili and cilantro. Mix it well.
- Sprinkle the dry mix over cauliflower, gently mix it coating all the cauliflower with spices, add water little at a time as needed, I used about ¼ cup of water.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. The frying pan should have about 1 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put little batter in the oil. The batter should raise to the top but not change color right away.
- Drop the cauliflower slowly in the oil making sure don’t overlap them.
- Fry the cauliflowers until they turn golden brown, turning them occasionally. This should take about 6-8 minutes.
- When they are golden brown, take them out with a slotted spoon. Place them on a paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
Note: We are not making a batter, use just enough water to coat the cauliflower florets evenly with spice mix. If you fry them on high heat Pakoras will not be crispy and if they are fried on very low heat Pakoras will be greasy. They especially taste delicious when they are served with Tamarind Chutney and hot cup of tea. They are also easy and quick to make. Surprise your guests and treat them with these mouthwatering crispy gobi pakoras. You will also like to see the recipe for Paneer Pakora and Chai. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!