Recipe submitted by Melody Crain
This recipe combines 3 classic holiday pies – Fudge, Pumpkin, and Pecan – into one Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan, reduced sugar treat!
- 1 store bought 8 inch gluten free, dairy free pie crust or make your own (my recipe below)
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 3/4 cup pure canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup Truvia Sweetener (regular not baking blend)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons melted vegan, dairy free margarine (I used Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour (I used Namaste Foods Perfect Flour Blend)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Soak ground flaxseed in the coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Mix melted margarine, pumpkin, and vanilla together
- Stir in sugar, Truvia, and the ground flaxseed with the coconut oil until everything is mixed together well.
- Mix remaining dry ingredients together (except pecans) and slowly stir into the rest of the mixture.
- Once everything is mixed together, gently stir in the pecans.
- Spoon into pie crust and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Pie Crust Recipe (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Vegan)
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I used Namaste Foods Perfect Flour Blend)
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Truvia Sweetener (regular not baking blend)
- Mix the milk and oil together.
- Quickly mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Need together for a couple of minute (note this dough is oily).
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions; each portion should be enough for a 9 inch pie pan.
- Put 1 port of dough into the center of a pie pan and start pressing the dough to the edges until you have a thin layer of dough covering the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Set aside in refrigerator if your pie filling is not ready yet.