Dal Makhani, Punjabi Style
Dal Makhani is a popular dish from state of Punjab. Rich and hearty, dal makhani is a combination of whole urad (an Indian lentil)and red kidney beans. It goes well with Naan, and Tandoori Roti (oven-baked flat bread).
- 1/2 cup whole urad dal
- 1/8 cup red kidney beans rajma
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 tbsp ghee, clarified ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp ginger thinly sliced
- Wash urad dal and kidney beans well. Soak the dal in six cups of water at least for eight hours. After soaking, dal will be about two and a half times the volume of the original.
- Place the dal in a pressure cooker with four cups of water. Add the salt, turmeric, ginger, and green chili, and cook over medium high heat. When it begins to steam, turn the heat down to medium. Cook 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. The dal and kidney beans should be soft and tender.
- Lightly mash the kidney beans and dal. Cook for another five minutes on low-to-medium heat.
- Add cream, garam masala, and amchoor powder. Cook for ten minutes on low heat.
- Heat the ghee in a small saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add cumin seeds. When they crack, add the asafetida, red chilies, and red chili powder. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add one teaspoon of water to keep the spices from burning. Pour the spiced ghee over the dal.
- Garnish with shredded ginger.
Serving suggestion, taste best with Naan, or Tandoori Roti
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!