Recipe submitted by Swetha Sudhakar
This coconut halwa turns out very soft and yummy and you will love it as much as my family and friends.
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar (3/4 cup, if you prefer more sweet)
- 1/2 cup water
- few saffron strands ( soak them for sometime in 5-6 tbsp of warm milk )
- 4 tbsp ghee
- halved cashew nuts, almond flakes & raisins for garnishing (optional)
- 1. Soak the cashew nuts, almonds in hot water so that skin of almonds can be removed &
- cashew nuts will become softer.
- 2. Grind the cashew nuts, almonds & grated coconut with little water to a paste.
- 3. In kadhai add the sugar, water and mix well; continue to stir on a medium slow flame till
- you arrive at a one thread consistency (if you pour the mixture from a height it should appear
- unbroken and flow like syrup and not like water droplets).
- 4. To this mixture add the ground paste , mix well and reduce flame to sim – stirring in
- between to ensure that the paste does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- 5. Add the saffron & the milk . Mix well so that the halwa gets nice saffron colour.
- 6. Add the ghee and continue to stir till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan
- 7.Now switch off the flame, add remaining 1 tsp of ghee and stir for about 3-4 minutes. (this
- makes the halwa softer when it sets)
Use fresh ghee for best results.