This Recipe is a delicious fried cauliflower appetizer with a pastel green dipping sauce.
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut milk and 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 Tablespoon cornstarch
For cilantro curry
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, roasted in a dry pan until fragrant
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chilies
- 6-7 curry leaves
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika and turmeric
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Blanch cilantro for 15 seconds, then strain and add to bowl with ice water. When cooled, blend cilantro with 1/2 cup of the coconut milk until very smooth, set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil.
- When hot add mustard seeds, Ginger and garlic, dried chilis, curry leaves, turmeric and paprika.
- Sautee for a few moments, then add cilantro purée, remaining 1/2 cup of coconut milk, roasted cumin powder, coriander powder, and lime zest.
- Simmer and reduce for 10 minutes, stirring constantly so as not to burn.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- When sauce is done cooking and heat is off, add lime juice and sugar.
- To prepare cauliflower, combine coconut milk, water, and cornstarch in a bowl.
- Coat cauliflower florets in this mixture and then coat with shredded coconut.
- Fry cauliflower in hot oil for 3-5 minutes. set aside or keep warm in oven.
- To plate, spoon curry sauce on bottom of dish and arrange fried cauliflower on top.
- Garnish with extra lime, scallions, shredded coconut and red pepper strips.