Chole Rajma Curry
Chole Rajma Curry is a healthy and delicious main course meal. This is a popular north Indian cuisine which consists of boiled beans cooked with spicy tomato gravy. It goes well with roti, naan or rice.
- 1 cup chick peas, chole, kabuli chana, garbanzo beans,
- 1/2 cup kidney beans rajma
- 2 cup diced tomatoes about I used 3 Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chopped ginger adrak
- 1 Tbsp chopped green chili
- 3 Tbsp oil prefer canola or vegetable
- 1/4 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 2 Tbsp coriander powder dhania
- 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Wash and soak chick peas and kidney beans in about six cups of water for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight (the beans will double in volume).
- Cook the chick peas and kidney beans in pressure cooker with 3 cups of water. Close the cooker and put the pressure on.
- Cook on medium high heat.
- As pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Close the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. Beans should be soft and tender.
- Cut the tomatoes and green chili in small pieces, and blend tomatoes, green chili, and ginger to make a pure.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan, test the heat by adding one cumin seed. If the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add asafetida and cumin seeds, as the cumin seeds crack add tomato paste, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Stir-fry for two to three minutes, until the oil begins to separate from the mixture. Add beans, salt, and more water as needed. Cover the pan and cook over medium high heat, for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Chole Rajma Curry is ready to serve.
Serve hot, with rice, or your choice of bread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
16 thoughts on “Chole Rajma Curry”
It’s really such a mouth watering recipe for me. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us .I will try it at home.
Manjula mam, thanks for sharing yummy recipe. I tried very yummy.
Manjula, sometimes when I am uninspired about what to cook for dinner, I watch your cooking videos. You make Indian cooking look so easy. (I am not an Indian person, and since going vegetarian 16 years ago, I find Indian food to be so much more healthy and exciting than “American” food.) After I watch one of your videos I head straight to the kitchen for a meal I know will be well worth the effort! Thank you for your delicious recipes and easy to understand videos.
Carmen, thanks I appreciate
Hello Manjula, and thank you very much for your splendid recipes. I’ve found this one particularly delicious and tasty. Many greetings from Belgium !
Hi! I love your recipes, Thanks for sharing this post I appreciate your great effort in bringing all the tips together in the single post
James, Thank you
This great recipe I really love it, the instruction and the recipe thank you for sharing.
Anna, Thank you
Hi Manjula Garu , i love to eat traditional vegetarian recipes, i follow your blog & youtube channel , to make recipes for my lovely wife & childern
keep posting ,I appreciate your great effort in bringing all the tips together in single post
Ram, Thanks, Itry
when i seen your chole-rajma-curry Recipe, i can not believe this, you and your recipe chole-rajma-curry both are amazing. its a good way to learn new recipe. this is very helpful blog for new learners. so thanks dear.
Chole Rajma is popular Punjabi dish. Tomato gravy is the most important ingredient of Punjabi food which is used with paneer or vegetables. It adds real good flavor to the food, and different dishes can be made from the same red gravy.
Congratulations for your blog and the use you make of spices . Here in Spain we do not us as much spices and in India. I invite you to have a look to my online shop http://www.buyspices.net
I made this for dinner tonight. I made as directed, but added diced onions to the puree and 1/4 cup of heavy cream to the dish. Served over basmati rice and garnished with scallions. Even my meat loving boyfriend enjoyed it and said it was good.
You must log in to post a comment.