Recipe submitted by Gayathri Raani
My recipe is Chocolate Squares which is inspired by a recipe from the book Baker’s Fiesta by Sangeeta Khanna. I saw this recipe a long time ago and decided it would be perfect for this month’s contest. I hope you will like it too.
- 250gm Flour
- 125gm Butter
- 120gm Sugar (powdered)
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 25ml Curd
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder(sieved)
- 1 tbsp Drinking Chocolate
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp Chocolate essence
- 1/2 Cup Cashew nuts chopped
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Sieve flour and baking powder. In a bowl add the flour, butter mixture, curd and vanilla essence.
- Knead it into a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into two. Divide one half into two quarters.
- On a rolling board keep a butter paper and place the half dough portion and roll it into a square. Keep it aside.
- Mix cocoa powder, drinking chocolate and chocolate essence to one quarter dough and mix well. If dough is too dry add 1tbs curd to make it soft.
- On a butter paper roll both vanilla and chocolate dough into squares separately.
- Cut them into 10 equal strips.
- On the previously rolled square sprinkle chopped cashew.
- Then place the 5 chocolate and 5 vanilla strips alternately.
- Cut the other 10 strips to small squares.
- Place the squares alternately so that the cookie dough resembles an interlaced pattern.
- Chill for 10 minutes.
- Cut to desired shapes.
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Bake cookies for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove from oven and transfer to wire mesh to cool.
- Cookies are always very soft when you take them out of oven. Do not panic.
- They become crispy once cooled. Store in airtight container.