Chai (Masala Tea)
Chai is black tea brewed with spices and milk. A cup of chai gives a wonderful sense of warmth and has a soothing effect. The mere aroma of chai makes you to want one; it is hard to resist. There are endless recipes, and every household has its favorite spice mix.
Makes spice mix for 24 cups
- 24 green cardamoms hari ilachi
- 18 black pepper kali mirch
- 1 tsp anis seeds
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
Tea for 2 Cups of Chai
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp tea leaves (I prefer Brooke Bond Red Label or Lipton Yellow Label)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp chai spice mix
- Mix all the spices and grind to a powder. I prefer to use a coffee grinder, the one I keep just for spices. Store the chai spice mix in airtight container.
- Boil the water and milk with 1/4 teaspoon spice mix. When the water boils, reduce the heat to low and add the tea leaves and sugar. Cover the pan and let it simmer two to three minutes.
- Strain the mixture and serve hot. Adjust the sugar to your taste.
Notes I use 10 oz tea cups or mugs. Use 1/8 teaspoon of spice mix for 1 cup of tea. You will also enjoy Chai Latte
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2013-01-06 14:42:45.