Carrot Burfi or carrot fudge is a classic Indian dessert made with carrot and milk. This burfi is packed with all the goodness of carrots. Carrot burfi tastes absolutely divine. Everyone, young and old enjoys traditional homemade methai (sweet). Carrot burfi is perfect for all occasions. Gajar Burfi-Delicious fudge made from carrots and milk.
- 2 cups carrot shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter or ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews to garnish
- In a large heavy frying pan bring the milk, cream and carrots to boil over medium high heat. Do stir occasionally, making sure milk does not burn in bottom of the pan. After milk comes to boil reduce the heat to medium.
- Let carrot cook for about 25 minutes, until carrot mix become like a lumpy dough. Keep stirring occasionally at the same time keep scraping the sides. Last ten minutes stir continuously otherwise mix will burn from the bottom.
- Add sugar, after adding sugar mix will become very soft. Cook for about 10 minutes stirring continuously. Mix should be consistency of soft dough, add butter, cardamom and keep stirring for about another 4 minutes. Mix will be very lumpy.
- Transfer mixture to the greased plate and press firmly into a square shape, approximately 1/2 inch high.
- Let the burfi sit for at least two hour before slicing I prefer cutting in about 1-1/2 inch squares.
- For garnishing put one cashew in center of every piece.