Cabbage pizza is a nice twist to traditional pizza with touch of Indian spices.
Makes 2 medium pizzas.
for the Dough:
- 2 3/4 cups All Purpose flour (Plain flour or Maida)
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
for the White Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons All Purpose flour (Plain flour or Maida)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
for Cabbage Topping:
- 3 cups sliced cabbage
- 1/2 thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (Green coriander)
- 2 chopped green chilies
Making the Dough:
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and let it sit for about 20 minutes or until the yeast becomes frothy.
- Add sugar, salt and oil to the flour and mix well.
- Add the yeast water and make into a dough. The dough should be soft and a little sticky. Add more water if needed.
- Cover the dough and let it sit for about four hours. The dough should be double in volume.
- Knead the dough well using a little dry flour.
Making White Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a small heavy saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook until the flour changes into a light brown color.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Continue cooking slowly until it is smooth and thick. Add the salt and black pepper.
Making Cabbage Topping:
- Mix the cabbage, bell pepper, cilantro, and green chilies with the white sauce.
Making the Pizza:
- Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees, placing a pizza stone inside for about 30 minutes so the pizza stone will be hot.
- Divide the dough in to two equal parts and roll into two 8 inch diameter pizzas.
- Place over greased cookie sheets. Put about a half teaspoon of olive oil over the pizza. Evenly spread the cabbage mixture onto the pizza.
- Slide the cookie sheet on the pizza stone and let it cook for about five minutes.
- To make a crispy pizza crust, remove the pizza from the cookie sheet and place over the pizza stone.
- Let it cook for about 7 minutes, or until the edges are golden-brown.