Besan Puda – Cheela – Gram Flour Cheela
Basen Ka Puda is a tasty dish for breakfast or a light lunch. This recipe is quick to prepare and can be served many different ways. In my house this is a favorite dish for breakfast, folded with cheese.
- 1 cup besan gram flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour chawal ka atta
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water, use as needed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 tsp green chili finely chopped
- 1 cup zucchini shredded
- 1 tabs cilantro finely chopped hara dhania
- 6 tbsp oil for cooking use as needed
- Shred the zucchini with the skin and keep aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together: besan, rice flour, cumin seeds, and salt. Add the water slowly to make a smooth batter, the consistency of pancake batter or Dosa batter. Add the green chilies, cilantro, and zucchini. Mix well.
- Use a non-stick skillet and place on medium-high heat. Test by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. Water should sizzle right away. Pour about 1/2 cup of the batter into the skillet and spread evenly with a back of spoon. Starting from the center, spiral the batter outward evenly to form a circle about 7" in diameter.
- When batter starts to dry, gently spread one teaspoon of oil over it. Wait about 30 seconds; flip the puda using a flat spatula.
- Press the puda lightly all around with the spatula to make the puda cook evenly. Turn the puda three to four time, until crisp and brown on both sides.
- Repeat for the remaining pudas.
Tips: Spread the batter quickly, or it will begin to dry and will be difficult to spread. Serving Suggestions: You can serve the puda with yogurt, hari chutney, spicy pickles. Pudas can also be served as quesadillas. Fold the pudda with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced tomatoes, or roasted vegetables. Variations Zucchini can be replaced with finely chopped spinach, shredded potatoes, or finely shredded cabbage. If you make the puda without vegetables, do not use rice flour. This will cause the pudas to be very dry. Cilantro can be replaced with ground coriander powder.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!