Aloo masala is a nice compliment for any kind of dosa. The Aloo Masala can be rolled in the dosa or served as a side dish.
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Pinch of asafetida (Hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (Rai)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (Haldi)
- 1 finely chopped green chili (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Boiled the potatoes until they are soft and let cool.
- Peel and chop the potatoes in small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If it cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafetida. As the seeds crack, add turmeric, potatoes, green chili, and salt.
- Stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cilantro.
- The potatoes should be slightly moist and not very dry.
- Serve hot.
Try adding 2 tablespoons of shredded carrots and 1/8 cup of green peas to potato mixture.