Aloo Mattar is a popular north Indian dish. Potatoes and peas with spicy gravy makes a great main dish.
- 3 medium boiled potatoes
- 3/4 cup green peas I am using frozen
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander powder dhania
- 1 tsp fennel seed powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1 tsp paprika dagi mirch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro hara dhania
- Peel the potatoes cut them in byte size pieces.
- In a small bowl mix ginger, green chili, coriander, fennel seed, turmeric, and paprika with ¼ cup of water.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add the cumin seeds, and asafetida, after cumin seeds crack add the spice mix cook until spices start leaving the oil this should take about one minute.
- Next add green peas and half a cup of water and let it cook until they are tender.
- Add potatoes and salt mix it well, while mixing mash few pieces of potatoes that will give thickness to gravy.
- Add about 1-1/4 cups of water after it comes to boil lower the heat to medium and let it cook for about five minutes.
- Add mango powder, garam masala, chopped cilantro, and slice of tomatoes mix it gently after gravy comes to boil turn off the heat and cover the pot. Tomatoes will cook with the steam.
- Aloo matter is ready to serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!