Yogurt rice or curd rice is a popular South Indian dish. Yogurt Rice makes a great side dish or good for lunch box as a complete meal.
Recipe will serve 4.
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/4 cup split moong dal (washed) available at Indian grocery store
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup yogurt (curd or dahi)
- 1/4 cup shredded cucumber (kheera)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots (gajar)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 whole red peppers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green pepper, adjust to taste
- 8-10 curry leaves available at Indian grocery store, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- Wash rice and moong dal changing water several times until the water appears clear.
- Drain the rice and moong dal and put it into the saucepan. Add water, oil, ginger, and salt, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once the water is boiling reduce the heat to low, do not cover the pan. Cook for 10-12 minutes rice and dal will be soft cover the pan and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is very soft and mushy.
- Mix the rice and dal whipping making them mushy; if rice is dry add little more hot water as needed. Mix should be consistency of portage.
- Let the rice cool down to room temperature, add the yogurt and mix it well. Adding the yogurt to hot rice will make yogurt sour and watery. Next add cucumber, carrot and ginger and mix.
- Prepare the seasoning: In a small sauce pan heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds as seeds crack add red pepper, green chili, curry leaves and cilantro stir for about a minute. As you will add curry leaves oil will splatter, so be careful.
- Turn off the heat and mix the seasoning with rice mix. Yogurt Rice is ready to serve.
- Yogurt Rice is served at room temperature.