Recipe Submitted by Priyam Saharia
These pretty little wonton cups are perfect for a delicious springtime appetizer. A spicy carrot and potato filling is delicately balanced with the taste of cheesy and crunchy apples. The wonton cup adds just the right amount of crunchiness to this zestful mix of flavors. Serve these for your next party and watch the plate getting emptied out as quick as a wink!
Recipe will make 12 wonton cups.
- 12 small square wonton wrappers
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 big potatoes
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Oil to fry
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- Wonton wraps are available in Chinese grocery stores or in Asian vegetables section in regular grocery stores.
- You will also need a muffin pan for this recipe. Available in the Baking Section in grocery stores.
To make the wonton cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush oil on both sides of each wonton wrapper. Gently press one wrapper into each cup of a 12-muffin pan. Bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and allow it to cool.
To make the filling
- Boil potatoes until they are tender
- After the potatoes are cool, peel the skin off and mash the potatoes.
- Heat the remaining ¼ cup oil in a frying pan. Test the temperature of the oil by adding a fennel seed to the oil; if it cracks right away the oil is ready.
- Add fennel seeds and stir fry for half a minute.
- Add the onions and carrots in the oil. Stir fry in medium high heat till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the potatoes to the mixture and stir fry on medium high heat till they are light golden brown.
- Add salt, cumin powder, ground red pepper and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Adjust salt and red pepper to your taste.
- Replace 12 of the baked cups in the muffin pan.
- Fill with 2 tablespoons of filling mixture.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes. The wonton wrap will become crisp. (Sometimes oven timings vary; so if the wonton cup doesn’t become crisp in the given time, return to oven for 2-3 minutes. Make sure to wear oven gloves)
- Remove from muffin-pan to cool.
- Garnish with crunchy sweet apples.
- This appetizer is a perfect solution to busy schedules.
- Pre-bake the wrappers and store in airtight containers once cool.
- Make the filling and store it in the fridge. It is very convenient and quick to bake when guests drop by unexpectedly.
- Try adding soybean nuggets to the filling. Boil 10-15 soybean nuggets in water with a little salt. When the soybean nuggets are softened, shred them into little pieces. Heat oil in a frying pan with medium to high heat. Fry the shredded nuggets. Add while potatoes are being fried.