A hearty Vegetable Soup is so tempting in winter. A cup of soup is a great meal starter or a tasty, nutritious and satisfying lunch. Vegetable Soup is very comforting.Prep Time 10 minutesCook Time 50 minutesTotal Time 1 hourServings 4 people
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 bay leaf (tajpat)
- 6 cloves (long)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds
- 1 small potato peeled and cubed in small pieces
- 1 cup fresh green beans cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup cabbage chopped
- 1-1/2 cups tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium high heat, Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
Add the cumin seeds. As they crack, add carrots, potatoes, green beans, bay leaf, cloves, and salt. Cook two to three minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add corn, cabbage, celery, tomato, and three cups of water. When it boils, turn the heat down to low medium.
Cover and cook 25 to 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Add the black pepper and lemon juice. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.