Perk up your meal with this savory Tomato chutney.
Author: Manjula Jain
- 6 medium sliced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon shredded ginger
- 4 green chilly sliced long ways
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seed
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away it is ready.
- Add the asafetida, black mustard seed and cumin seed. After seeds are cracked add bay leaves, paprika, and turmeric.
- Stir for a second and add sliced tomatoes and green chili.
- Cover the pan after mixture comes to boil and let it cook for 6 to 7 minutes on low medium heat; tomatoes should be soft but still be in slices.
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 teaspoons of water and add to the tomatoes (corn starch is added to give thickness to gravy but this is optional).
- Let chutney cook for another minute. Add sugar and cilantro, close the heat and cover for few minutes.
- Adjust the salt, sugar and pepper to your taste.
- This chutney is best served as a side dish with any kind of stuffed Paratha or over plain white rice.
- Add the sugar slowly as needed, depending on sourness of tomatoes.