Perk up your meal with this savory Tomato chutney.
- 6 medium tomatoes sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger shredded
- 4 green chilli sliced long ways
- Pinch of asafetida hing
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp black mustard seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp oil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away it is ready.
- Add the asafetida, black mustard seed and cumin seed. After seeds are cracked add bay leaves, paprika, and turmeric.
- Stir for a second and add sliced tomatoes and green chili.
- Cover the pan after mixture comes to boil and let it cook for 6 to 7 minutes on low medium heat; tomatoes should be soft but still be in slices.
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 teaspoons of water and add to the tomatoes (corn starch is added to give thickness to gravy but this is optional).
- Let chutney cook for another minute. Add sugar and cilantro, close the heat and cover for few minutes.
- Adjust the salt, sugar and pepper to your taste.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2007-01-04 10:33:31.