This silken cheesecake with ginger cookies crust is a perfect dessert that encapsulates the flavors of the holiday season. And what’s more it’s healthy too! Pureed sweet potatoes are an excellent substitute for solid fats while also offering health benefits with extra fiber, vitamins A and C. In addition, they also bake well, so this recipe can be easily made egg-less I usually add just one egg white but for this recipe I have used a little ground flax seeds (omega3s!) The spices add a wonderful flavor and dried apricots add to the fiber and natural sweetness. Enjoy!
- 500g Sweet Potatoes, boiled.
- 100g dried apricots, chopped
- 10 – 12 stem ginger cookies
- 3/4 cup All Bran / Oats n Honey b’fast cereal
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 220g low-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3-4 cloves, ground
- 1 inch piece cinnamon, ground
- ground nutmeg, a pinch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Salt, a pinch
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius. Coat a round baking dish with a little butter and keep ready.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, add the apricots and let stand for 10 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, peel and mash the sweet potatoes to a smooth puree
- In a food processor, combine the cookies and cereal and process until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl, add the butter and mix well. Press this mixture firmly and smoothly into the bottom of the prepared dish. Keep it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a electric mixer, placed mashed sweet potatoes, cream cheese and yogurt and beat until smooth.
- Simmer the flax seeds in 2 tbsp water for a few minutes, beat a little and add it to the sweet potatoes mixture. Add the sugar, flour, spices, vanilla and salt and beat well. Add a little water if the mixture is too thick.
- Sprinkle the apricots over the prepared crust. Pour the sweet potatoes mixture over the apricots.
- Cover the oven tray with water and bake the cheesecake in the water bath. This prevents burning the crust and ensures the cake is baked gently. Bake for about 30 – 40 mins until the cake is almost set. It may not set completely in the middle. It will set further on cooling. Let it stand for about an hour in the oven. Remove, cool to room temperature, cover with a plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours before serving.