Spicy chivda crunchy savory snack is quick and easy to make. Chivda, also known as poha, is flattened rice that is flavored with spices. When I was growing up this was one of the snacks my mom will make, and we all will enjoy. I still enjoy this spicy chivda even today while watching TV. Store this in an airtight container and this chivda stays fresh and crunchy for 2 to 3 weeks.
Recipe will serve 4.
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
- 2 cups thick chivda, poha
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chili
- 10 t0 12 curry leaves
- 2 red pepper dried broken in few pieces
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 2 tablespoons roasted chana
- 2 tablespoons coconut dried sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon citric acid (nimbu sat)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Roast the chivda in a microwave oven for one and half minutes, first do it for one minute take it out mix it well and put it back for another half minute. Set aside. Note: This gives a nice crunch to the chivda and save time. If it is roasted directly in frying pan it will takes more oil and will have to stir fry for about ten to fifteen minutes.
- Heat the flat frying on medium heat, add the oil, oil should be moderately hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds as they start cracking lower the heat to low.
- Add curry leaves and green chilies stir fry them for about a minute till the green chili and curry leaves stop splattering.
- Next add peanuts and red chilies roast them for two minute until it start catching the color… do keep stirring
- Time to add roasted chana, and coconut stir fry for another 30 seconds
- Add asafetida, salt and turmeric stir for few seconds add chivda mix it well. Add sugar and citric acid keep stiring continuously for about 2 to 3 minutes. Why I am adding salt to the oil, this way all the chivda will be coated with salt evenly.
- Chivda is ready turn off the heat while chivda is hot it will taste little chewy after it will cool of will become crunchy.