Seviyan or vermicelli kheer, is a traditional popular dessert. Seviyans are thin long strings that looks very much like spaghetti however process if different. Seviyan is a delicious and an easy recipe to make. Basic seviyan is made with milk, seviyan and sugar, and then flavored with cardamom. Garnish with sliced almonds and pistachios and you have a delicious dish!
Recipe will serve 6
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup sevia roasted and broken (vermicelli) available Indian grocery stores
- 7 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder (ilachi)
- Pinch nutmeg (jaiphel)
- About 10-12 saffron strings
- 2 tablespoons sliced or crushed almonds
- 1 tablespoons sliced or crushed pistachios for garnishing
- Use a nonstick or heavy bottom frying pan to make a seviyan kheer. Add the seviyan and roast them for about two minutes on medium low heat.
- Add the milk and increase the heat to medium high. After milk comes to boil reduce the heat to medium. Let the milk boil for about 30 minutes, until the milk is creamy and reduced to almost half. Stir often to ensure the milk does not burn in the bottom of the pan, and also keep scraping the sides of the frying pan.
- Add the sugar, saffron, cardamom, nutmeg, and almonds. Let the seviyan kheer simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- As seviyan kheer cools it will become thicker in texture.
- Garnish with pistachios. Seviyan can be served chilled or warm.
(aka Sukhi Sevia or Eid ki Sevia) semiya or seviya.